Moore day care center recovers from tornado damage

By Catherine Sweeney The Journal Record NORMAN – Former schoolteacher Nancy Goodrich has been working in overdrive since May 20. She began her own private day care center in Moore in 2009. Her pregnant friend couldn’t find one that didn’t have a two-year waiting list, she said. Now, All About Kids also has a two-year waiting list. At the beginning of May, the day care center with 40 employees was providing care to 182 children, she said. soldes timberland Then the tornado came. “We have one building that was completely destroyed,” she said. Kanken Big “And we had a lot of roof damage.” The main building suffered damage to the roof and to a wall. ugg bottes ffxiv gil The damage was exacerbated during a second storm when rain poured into the building through holes in the roof. chaussure timberland homme Because the building that was demolished was a small metal building, less than $4,000 is needed to rebuild, she said. But the roof and wall damage to the main building will probably cost close to $50,000. asics tiger She has already received a $22,000 invoice from the roof workers All About Kids hired. Because Goodrich is still in negotiations with the insurance company, she will be paying for the roof repairs out of pocket. She is not sure how much they will reimburse her. adidas zx pas cher “I still haven’t gotten a written report from them,” she said. adidas tubular shadow asics gel lyte 5 For two weeks after the storm, she had to close the day care center because of the damage. adidas zx flux Eagle Heights Church on S. Portland Avenue opened its doors to the children, but Goodrich asked many parents to keep their kids home for the week. “We had 27 the first week and 38 the second week,” she said. Of the 182 children before the tornado, 40 of the children they kept had to leave, she said. ffxiv Items Some parents were displaced because of the storms and had to move. The weekend before they moved back in, Goodrich and her husband spent their time cleaning, she said. On Saturday, they worked from 9 a.m. botte ugg pas cher to 8 p.m. air max homme Sunday’s hours were even rougher, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. “I did not want them coming back not having things ready,” she said. They also received help from a group of 14 volunteers from a Kentucky church, she said. “We feel like we need to help you guys,” one told her. The men helped put up a temporary fence while the women stayed in and cleaned all of the toys. Together, the group helped clean her parking lot. Other members of the community offered a hand as well, she said. nike air max 1 “It was just amazing to see the amount of people who came out and knocked on my door,” she said. Everything is back to business, she said. adidas zx 500 Even though her number of children has dropped, she has no intentions of laying off staff members, two of whom stayed during the weekend to help with the cleaning. nike air max 2017 soldes “I’m not letting them go,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *